22 February 2011

Guest Post: Author, Yvonne Prinz

Location, Location, Location
Placing Your Novel Geographically

Aspiring writers have asked me how I choose the settings for my novels, and, after pondering this question, I realize that the answer is more complicated than I’d thought because it depends a lot on the type of writer you are or wish to become.

Naturally, we can eliminate Fantasy YA from this discussion right from the get-go. In writing Fantasy you have the luxury of inventing your own setting (though I implore you not to gloss over descriptions of your setting; they’re still vitally important to the story). This is just one of the many reasons I don’t write in this genre.

I prefer existing settings, like New York for instance. Though I don’t write about New York because I have not lived there. And that brings me to my next point: I don’t think you should ever write about a place that you haven’t spent a considerable amount of time in. Trust me, it won’t fly with the readers. I’ve read many YA novels where it was abundantly clear that the writer was not familiar with the place he/she was writing about, a fatal error, in my opinion.

I think that a beginning writer might be under the impression that they couldn’t possibly write a great story that takes place in their own world when in fact the opposite is true. Being an expert on your own world, you’ve got a much better chance of writing a compelling story about your hometown than you do trying to fudge your way through a story about an Ethiopian orphan in Africa if you haven’t been there. Remember, a great story often lies in the smallest of details.

When I set out to write The Vinyl Princess, I knew that it would take place in a record store in Berkeley, CA, a smaller version of the one that my husband and I opened back in 1990 in the very same location. Describing the store and the street and even the neighborhood came easily to me. I knew it like the back of my hand. Creating characters when you know your setting well is also much easier. Again, I’ll use New York as an example: If you’re writing a novel about a neighborhood in New York, like Greenwich Village, for instance, you’ll also be all too familiar with how people talk there, how they move, and how they interact. This is essential to creating real, believable characters.

When I wrote All You Get Is Me, I spent some time on a farm in Brentwood, CA, a place similar to where I envisioned Roar’s farm might be. When I started to create characters, I based them loosely on a few of the people I’d met in the area or at least read about. I created a character named Reynaldo, an undocumented vineyard worker who eventually became a citizen and a respected winemaker. I pulled his story directly from the San Francisco Chronicle and changed his name. Roar’s house in San Francisco was set on a street I lived on myself for years. I was able to describe even the tiniest details about the neighborhood; the smells, the sounds, and even the vegetables at a produce stand in the Mission up the street and the ice cream flavors at the place Roar loves to go.

Finally, I can’t stress enough that you should also have some passion for your setting. Don’t forget, you have to live there for a very long time, so make it as interesting and multi-layered as possible for you and the reader. The less interesting a place you paint, the quicker you’ll tire of it and the harder it will be to continue to write about it.

Happy writing (and reading)!

Yvonne Prinz

Thanks so much for stopping by Yvonne! Amazing guest post, thanks for taking the time to share such great info. with us all.

Find Yvonna Online:

Facebook | Twitter | The Vinyl Princess | All You Get Is Me



Title: The Vinyl Princess
Publisher: HarperTeen, 320 Pages (December 2nd 2009)
Order here: Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository

Synopsis: Summer is here, and 16-year-old Allie, a self-professed music geek, is exactly where she wants to be: working full-time at Berkeley’s ultra-cool Bob and Bob Records. There, Allie can spend her days bantering with the street people, talking the talk with the staff, shepherding the uncool bridge-and-tunnel shoppers, all the while blissfully surrounded by music, music, music. It’s the perfect setup for her to develop her secret identity as The Vinyl Princess, author of both a brand-new zine and blog. From the safety of her favourite place on earth, Allie is poised to have it all: love, music and blogging.

Her mother, though, is actually the one getting the dates, and business at Allie’s beloved record store is becoming dangerously slow—not to mention that there have been a string of robberies in the neighbourhood. At least her blog seems to be gaining interest, one vinyl junkie at a time….


Title: All You Get Is Me
Publisher: HarperCollins, 288 Pages (December 21st 2010)
Order here: Amazon, Borders, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository

Synopsis: A summer of love, loss, and justice.

Things were complicated enough for Roar, even before her father decided to yank her out of the city and go organic. Suddenly, she’s a farm girl, albeit a reluctant one, selling figs at the farmers’ market and developing her photographs in a ramshackle shed. Caught between a troublemaking sidekick named Storm, a brooding, easy-on-the-eyes L.A. boy, and a father on a human rights crusade that challenges the fabric of the farm community, Roar is going to have to tackle it all—even with dirt under her fingernails and her hair pulled back with a rubber band meant for asparagus.

*I am not compensated at all for any of the links within this page.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

4 comments:

  1. That was a good post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read The Vinyl Princess and the setting was one of the things I loved most about this book. I felt like I could see it! Great guest post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All you get is me seems to be an interesting book! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love