09 May 2013

Cats and Books – A Universal Connection

Greetings walking can openers with legs! This is your feline overlords speaking. We have highjacked this blog in order to discuss a very important subject with you. Our topic: Cats and Books. More importantly, how you cannot have one without the other.

Yes, we felines have been a part of shaping literature since the beginning of time, it’s one of the reasons we were worshiped as gods after all. When the first human created the very first story, it was with the gentle guiding paw of a feline muse. Okay, maybe it wasn't exactly “gentle.” It was more like a swat with claws extended, but you get the idea.



Don’t believe us? Check out this article that one of you wrote not so long ago about a medieval manuscript found with cat paw prints inked on the pages: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/03/130326-animals-medieval-manuscript-books-cats-history/ Now we must admit that we find the heading to be rather misleading as this particular feline wasn't “curious” about the manuscript at all. He was actually checking to make sure that the scribe was writing down the correct text as dictated by the cat himself. But this goes to show that you humans often miss the greatness that is Felis catus. =^.^= Anyways, we cats have always been there helping your favorite authors write those books that you love so dearly. We've perched on the arm chairs of some of the greatest authors the world has ever know. We've criticized the early drafts of Jean Paul Sartre, Edward Gorey (who by the way wrote an entire book dedicated to the greatness that is Cat), Neil Gaiman, and many more! Behind every great author, there’s an equally greater cat. For a list of some of our favorite authors to work with, check out this site: http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/30-renowned-authors-inspired-by-cats

We've shared our story ideas with writers everywhere, and sometimes we've dictated entire manuscripts to help their cause. But do we get any of the credit? No. The glory goes to the human authors, and we don’t begrudge this lack of acknowledgement. Well, not much anyways. Sure, we've occasionally left a reminder to a few authors who have allowed their fame to go to their heads that it was one of us who made that fame possible. It’s amazing how a simple hairball inside of a shoe or the head of a mouse on the pillow next to you can remind you that we are also deserving of praise. But for the most part we are happy to provide readers with wonderful works of literature.



Yes, when we aren't planning world domination, we are helping authors write. When they agonize over a scene, we are there to help plot it out. When they stare at a blank page, we help them overcome their writer’s block and provide them with the inspiration they need to keep going. It really is the least that we can do. Another one of our little missions has been to help guide readers towards those books we feel will provide you with the most enjoyment or help aid in furthering your growth of knowledge. When we knock a book off a shelf it’s because we want you to read it. And when we lay down in the middle of whatever it is you are reading, it isn't because we are demanding attention, it’s because we want to talk with you and make sure you understand the message within that book’s pages.


So remember, the next time you get upset at one of us for chewing on your favorite copy of Pride and Prejudice or get creeped out by those long intent stares that we like to throw your way, it’s not because we are seeking to destroy things or kill you. It’s because we want you to read what we have helped bring forth into this world, because really, how else are we going to subliminally guide your entire race?







Find Cameron & her Felines Online:

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

4 comments:

  1. oh - this is so wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! Thanks for a great post and now I'm following you on FB.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! Thanks for a great post and now I'm following you on FB.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this so much... and I have a blog for my cats!

    Hoping it helps those with sick kitties! http://catsdiabetes.blogspot.com/

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love