29 March 2014

Review - The Burning Sky By: Sherry Thomas

Title: The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy #1)
Author: Sherry Thomas
Publisher: Balzer + Bray, 464 Pages (September 17th 2013)
From: the Publisher/Amazon Vine
Format: ARC
Add to: Goodreads
Order a copy: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, The Book Depository, Amazon UK

Synopsis: It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning…

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation—or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family—even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life.

Review: 3 Stars - The Burning Sky, the first title in The Elemental Trilogy by author Sherry Thomas takes readers on a quest between two characters who have been destined to come together to change their world for the better.

This review is rough for me to write. I liked the book, just didn't love it. It's very different and I was somewhat confused more than a few times due to transition changes in points of view and how certain characters were involved. Maybe this is more from the fact that it took me quite a while to get into and it wasn't until the last maybe quarter of the book that things picked up and I couldn't turn the pages quick enough.

So how about I talk about the characters a bit. First we have Iolanthe an elemental mage who is extremely powerful yet doesn't know her full capabilities yet. She has no idea she is destined to help defeat the Bane, a truly evil mage who just so happens to be one of the strongest in The Realm. Then we have Titus who is Price of Elberon and has sworn to protect Iolanthe no matter what. He's willing to lay his life down for her. It's when he witnesses a sign he takes charge to get to Iolanthe and the two meet under very dangerous circumstances.

These two characters are different, quirky, flawed and very interesting. What they have to go through and what they've been through was also interesting. I liked how prepared Titus was, but when he met Iolanthe he realized that he hadn't planned for one major thing and that's for the person he was destined to help would be a girl. So much of the shocks were with Titus and how he watched Iolanthe learn and adapt after all he's put her through. Which made her a pretty fierce character to say the least.

And Titus... I had a love hate relationship with the guy. He was so guarded and often a jerk because of who he was and all he had to deal with. Due to his title it was hard to see through to the person he was underneath all the secrets and lies. I guess I felt more sorry for him than anything else because of how closed off he was forced to be and also because of what he wholeheartedly believed there was no changing the prophecy and his fate.

As mentioned above the last quarter of the book was the best. If was fulled with nonstop action and suspense. I was on the edge of my seat to see what would happen between these two and to find out who would make it out alive.

There is plenty within this first installment that'll give readers who enjoy fantasy titles something to sink their teeth into and will leave them ready to come back for more. And since this is a trilogy I know many will be waiting to see what happens next. Am I one of those people? Sure... I'd love to see where this author takes these characters next and what trouble they might find themselves in. I'm looking forward to meet Titus and Iolanthe again and following along on their continuing journey.


Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love